Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Christmas Eve Edition of T.D.M.

hello dear readers and non shoppers! by non shoppers, I simply mean if you are reading this, you are likely not out shopping. I am a writer, and a non-shopper, for mere minutes. I will even be traveling to the accursed Wal-Mart soon, though hopefully Target, a slightly lesser evil. Not for nothing, it is my true goal to stay away from Wal-Marts, or The Wal Marts, in 2009. And I exhort you dear reader-friend to the same!

this brings me to a nice little digression.

I have been working through a good book, The Wal Mart Effect. Actually MA commandeered it, as she will on occasion. And that's just fine. We love, we share our lives, may as well share books too. Her most recent hostile takeover of our shared reading is a very cool little piece entitled, Un-Christian. Catchy little title. Bothersome to many, though definitely accurate. I spotted it in our local B.A.M., or, Books-A-Million, and immediately saw the great need in working through it. I feel it may have already captured many of my developing theories, thoughts, and ideas on what's happening in the world, the world of the church, to the church, and, just as often, because of the church.

Though that is for a 2009 post. Along with, I promise, the completion of my little 'A Requiem for Yankee Stadium'--the best working title I have birthed to date to detail our grand journey to the Bronx.

Though for today, I give you a gift. My writing is not the gift, not yet. Hopefully, one day, it will be a gift to all who read it! Though it's a ways off from 'sublime status'. hint: another goal of 2009.

I witnessed something the other day. Last Friday, to be exact (now a couple of Friday's ago). Here comes the set-up.

Auburn University is my sworn enemy since birth. At least, as far as gridiron rivals go. Though recently, it has turned into a tolerated, even respected, arch-rival, now peacefully taken out of 'full enemy combatant' statues only because of the dear people and true friends I know who have matriculated, and other various activities, at that particular institution of higher learning. Well, Auburn has fallen on some tough times, as far as the foos-ball program goes. Football if you're anyone other than Bobby Booshea!

A firing, or two, depending on how you look at ole' Tubbs, a losing season, a sound "old-fashioned country ass-whoopin" to quote their ignoble hero/coach/statesman, one Pat Dye. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, said old-fashion event did come at the hands of my beloved University of Alabama Crimson Tide. It's been a tough fall for the ole' war-eagles. But they'll be back. I say this, again, out of the love and respect I have for my friends...and as an educated, true arch-rival in the SEC, I know this won't last for long.

During the hiring search for their next head football coach, the national sports-media eye fixed squarely upon the Plains. Not for the good, either.

Long story short, with the help of writers who live on controversy (so much so, they can manufacture it with mastery that rivals Mercedes-Benz. And they got a little help from one of their alums" one Charles Barkley. The controversy took a decidedly racial turn, as things always will, given the chance. The absolute finest of Alabamian tolerance, progressive thought, compassion and justice found it's way to the Paul Finebaum's radio show one fine Friday afternoon. Where else?

Now, if you look hard enough, you may find a trace amount of sarcasm and cynicism in that last paragraph. (check that--that should read "...you may find a trace amount of sarcasm and cynicism every thing I've every written...", but I digress)

Long-and-getting-longer-story-short, I heard a few callers that very nearly made me literally sick. At best, they made me angrier than I know is good for me and just as embarrassed to be from the south. That's sometimes a tough thing. For all our flaws and all the stigma of being a backwards, inbreeding wasteland, deserved and not deserved, there is great beauty in the south and I am proud to be born where I was born, from where I am from. Granted, many of my closest friends and family still say some things I almost literally cannot believe I'm hearing!
That day put me to the test. I have had enough of racism and prejudice. And even though I am aware of my own character flaws, even though I have been guilty and convicted of the same prejudice, racism, and throw in a dash of sexism, consumerism, capitalism, communism, alcoholism, name an ism, we are all guilty. The point is: I am trying. Hearing and heeding the call to follow Jesus requires one to travel light. You have to leave your isms behind, and never go back for them.

I had nearly hung my head in shame and given up on enlightenment, love and equality in my lifetime, racially speaking, at least.

And then I witnessed something. In the middle of Memorial Parkway in Huntsville, Alabama, one home of the strongest remaining bastions of racial disharmony, it happened.

My co-pilot--that is, my mommy--and I were turning the radio off, in disgust and utterly despairing of the human condition's seeming lack of progress in civil rights and racial equality. To top it all off, there was a car broke down right in the middle of the road! It was slowing already snail-like traffic and Christmas crowds. One more frustration. Or so I thought.

I then noticed the folks were at least doing something about it. It was their car, they should get it fixed and out of harm's way...and my way. Or so I thought.

I then noticed what seemed like a stranger jumping out of their car--in the middle of a major thoroughfare, mind you--to help their fellow man. Their fellow woman, actually. I couldn't have received a better sign of encouragement for humanity at that particular time in my life. Or so I thought.

Then another caring fellow had leaped from his car. Good will still exists. This couldn't have had a better ending. Or so I thought.

The finishing touch of this solid sign of human good had one more thing to reveal. As the car eased into Burger King parking lot and Huntsville's finest arrived on the seen, I saw the two strangers who had been simultaneously convicted to help another stranger. The looked at each other, and surely saw the differences that I noticed.

The difference in these two was striking. Not predominant, but a difference that made me think. They dressed in similar fashion. The general size was the same. They were both men, probably locals it seemed. The only real difference in the two strangers was the pigmentation of their skin: one dark, one light. A black dude, and white dude. Working, walking, serving, living together. Side by side, these two real people saw another real person in need, and they jumped in to help. Their differences weren't all that important to them at that time. And in my realization of their difference, I could see that they weren't all that different after all.

A glimmer of promise came breaking through at that instant and soothed my aching, cynical soul. Christmas time was getting good. And it was working. These two people just realized they were in fact more neighbors than strangers. And the showed the world this very good news. That day, they were Hunstville's finest. The Finebaum conversations were remembered, though mostly just as a reminder of occasional ignorance and how aged, inhumane, racist thought can one day be the only, actual minority.

I hope the wait, the build up, and the big deal I made of this little occurrence was worth it. It was a long way around though sometimes we need just that. That damp, muggy, December day, I was thankful I took the long way home. Had I not, I wouldn't have caught a glimpse of the true Way home: breaking into this world, one stalled car at a time.


Peace be with you. I pray that you Christmas was warm, happy and holy and that your new year--our new year--is one that brings us together more and more. We've so much to do together.


For an amazing journey of discovery or remembrance of the struggle we have been through and still work toward fixing, you simply must watch the HBO documentary Breaking the Huddle. And I have it tivo'ed if you want to see it. I'll watch it with you.

1 comment:

Jack said...

Listening to Finebaum is dangerous for anyone's health - not just Auburn fans.

But I do look forward to your hope, this Christmas Eve. Don't let Walmart swallow you up! (I'll be diving in here, shortly, myself)