Sunday, July 5, 2009

Part II

Yo, ho, ho and ahoy mateys!

"I'm back, baby!" (Bender, Futurama)

Typically, I see alligators on t.v. I have seen some at the zoo, of course. And to tell the truth, my folks tell of a wild adventure down through the Florida Everglades when I was a wee tot. Though, I rarely--actually, I have never--seen an alligator at the donut shop! Great minds think alike, I suppose. This Florida gator is just the latest addition to the cast of characters and incredible moments that I have experienced in these past three days.

We must start by saying how very fortunate--how truly blessed beyond any proper appreciation--I am that I was born in these here Unites States of America. And to the Republic, I give thanks to God. I am proud to be an American. I kind of hate that song, no offense to Lee Greenwood, but hey...

What I really hope is that this sense of pride I feel never turn to arrogance. That my patriotism never see nationalism. And may I always be painfully aware that the only thing I did to deserve such freedom is to be born inside the lines. Well, I suppose I did dabble with the United States Air Force for a brief time...

Though as my wife and I stood at The Hangout, a faily new, well, hang out in Gulf Shores, and watched a bang-up fireworks display, I realized how good we have it. And one should always remember that there are just as many, if not many more, that do not have it so good. And more than likely, those that have it good usually benifit from those that dont have it so good. Every action, equal and opposite reaction and so on, and so forth. Those that dont have it so good? Well, they were born outside the lines. Funny ole' world.

But its this nation's birthday that got us down here. Well, thats what gave MA a less than common off day, which gave us a nice little push down the highway. The 4th of July holiday is an extraordinary time. And its a meaningful moment to soak it all in. Reflect. Celebrate. Eat.

In the next day or so, you will be reading about my new love and appreciation of all things Jimmy Buffett. There is much to tell of how we ambulated round the streets of Gulf Shores, seeing the sights, eating the shrimp, and swimming with the fishes.

THough the best part, which means its really, really, good, is the sights and sounds of children in the time and place. There was a little crying (I think resulting from a live band's full sonic assault and repeated droppings of the F-Bomb). There was some bossing around, and some bullying (brothers and sisters will be brothers and sisters). But best of all, was just the chatter of wonder and the laughter of youth and summer and sand and sea. It took me back, a long, good, way.

I had a great life goring up, with a better-than-great family. From our first trip in the Everglades, to our next, last trip (for this trip) to the beach today, its still a good life.

I'm ready, excited, and committed to start really living it. Take a huge bite of that peach that is life and let those juices drip from my chinny-chin-chin. Bt first, I have to go save Mary Ann from that ole' donut loving reptile. Perhaps I'll name him "Homer". TTFN.

ciao,
M~

No comments: