Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Process

hi there. good Wednesday to you, good people. the morning is fine, the latte is smooth, though stout! life is good and off to a good start today.

I am increasingly drawn to this craft. writing. what makes writing good? what writing do we want to read? how does one write? why?

this here blog was created, and is, hopefully, created often with the intent of exploring these questions and quests. ah, to write and be read. or, simply, to write. the process.

the last thing I want this arena for the great craft to be is a sort of electronic journal. an e-diary. well, one doesn't necessarily need blog or other electronic medium or space to keep a daily journal (that's what Moleskin's are for!)

and why write a personal journal or diary to share with the world? I mean, some folks do it--its their cup of tea. anyway, others are much better at that than I.
but let's face it, if it was the inner-most, or most-mundane, dia rhetorical thoughts of a celebrity...it would be a hit.

with the occasional inner-voice gone outer (the classic "inny" v "outty" debate), the occasional self-musing, or the oft over used parenthetical phrase (of which I am quite fond [obviously!]), notwithstanding, this place must be another thing. it will be something different. I hope.

to that end, I will keep write. writers write, and I want to be a writer. my last teacher of Christian Thought--that's a particular class, not a lifelong devotion of connecting with Jesus--was Brooks Holifiled. I know, he sounds like either a kind of shoe or child or the latest wife of the great champ Evander! (Evander is Holyfield) He is neither. A is a good teacher. He was a very difficult teacher for me, and thus, a good teacher. In this case, though=good. That's not always true. But for me, and him, it was true. HE was a good teacher because I learned some things.

Well, I learned one thing that I know of, and it's about writing! So, God bless Brooks Holifield.

In his class Brooks stressed the importance of writing for those past-present-future practitioners of the Christian faith. (btw, it is not a true Christian faith if it is not practiced. theoretical theology never saved the world). He told us what, ihho, writing is.

Writing is re-writing.

It took me a little while to fully grasp that. But I am still starting to get it. It you simply go with the first thing that jumps in your head, its not writing--it's journeying. It's a stream of consciousness. It's a diary.

Those are certainly forms of writing, though not the kind of writing I am after here. I want to create a body of work that is good. Good work is important.

While we may not think work is necessarily pleasant, unless you are a work-a-holic, I think it can be. If you love your work. Business should rarely, if ever, mix with pleasure less the two become confused with the other.

I love this kind of work, and would so love for writing to be my work. I already employ writing in my work in many ways. That's a real gift from God. And so, I will write. And re-write. And write.

An important element of which to be aware with these musings is the particular process I use for this particular medium. I tend to arrive at the 'publish post' button-pushing-time somewhere between 'editing ' and 'finished'. That would mean there's been some re-writing done, and that there is plenty more re-writing left to do!

One could say that my 'publish post' button needs replacing much more frequently than my 'save as draft' button. And one would be correct in so saying.

The reader's of The Digital Moleskine will typically see something like a 3rd draft with each first version. And then, over time, the post will be progressively more and more re-written. Re-fined. Re-al.

Many, many things bring this about. Occasionally I will lie awake at night fretting the possibility of glaring typo's (imagine the embarrassment of trying to text 'I forgot' with a misplaced 'r' for a 'g'!) or other mistakes and errors. Occasionally the notion to add, delete, correct, clarify, qualify, or otherwise alter and change something from the first stab.

Point being, pretty much all the time, it's a work in progress. Though hang in there with me, won't you? It is my joy to try and offer you something of worth over time. It is my hope that this little blog o' mine be worth your time.

I aim to provide some good work, good reading, good stuff. I aim to not only write, but re-write and re-fine and give you something that you can re-gurgitate. Not make you re-gurgitate, mind you. Though something you can and will want to remember. And maybe, pass it on. And maybe, re-spond.

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.*®

M~


P.S.--that tag line is some one's good work. It's Garrison Keillor, from The Writer's Almanac.
That show is some great work. Do check it out: writersalmanac.publicradio.org

2 comments:

Lyn Cosby said...

Have you read Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott? It's the best book about writing ever!

Matthew Moody Smith said...

hello there Lynn. Well, I do own that book, and it's been craked open a time or two. It's on the 'mos-def' list, and also listed on the 'soon' list. I am currently, thoroughly, enjoying Jimmy Buffett's A Pirate Looks at Fifty. I love it! Though, the 'Bird book' is soon to follow. thanks for reading! you may get the Vari-Lecto prize for reader of the year! good to hear from you.