Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Me and General MacArthur

To the masses--the scores and scores of readers, to my dear friends, to complete and wayfaring strangers:

Hello there! Yes, it's me, the long-lost bloggist.

Though I first let you down. I am sorry to say that you will not have too much to read. Take a second. Compose yourself. I let you down gently.

It's not all that bad. Maybe it's more like all-good? You see, I will be back to feed your literary and intellectual hunger once again. "An enigmatic union of esoteric thought"*. It's just a matter of time.

I am using the remaining days of (unofficial) summer, that is, the days leading up to Labor Day, to rest, work, think, compose my self, and compose...myself~

The return is tentatively scheduled for the Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday after Labor Day, whatever date that is. I know, I know. I do this a lot. Though hey, I love me some national holidays! There are such excellent opportunities to regain strength, regather steam. And they are a professional procrastinators dream! Hey, it's just my way.

I am seriously pondering adding a bit of new--to me--technology to my repertoire. I have avoided Facebook and other 'social networking' sites and groups and web-based communities like the plague. No, not entirely because I'm an adult (I borrowed that joke from Entourage, one of my very favorites. And I don't entirely agree with the joke). I just get lazy with some techno-trends. Some I stay away from just because others are go so completely ape-sh#t over them. I tend to do this with over watched, over-hyped, and over-discussed t.v. shows. Por ejemplo, I have never watched an episode of American Idol, Survivor, The Apprentice or any other piece of reality-based garbage. I'm sure that makes a powerful statement and completely shifts the balance of power on the world.

I routinely stay 2-5 years behind most everyone else with new stuff. Unless it's musical in nature. Or, unless I can afford it.

Though the dear and beautiful Mary Ann seems fairly interested in Facebook. It seems to be the least dork of the choices out there. I know several other very cool people that are Facebook enthusiasts. And some of them are even over the age of 30! ( I still think that people under 30 completely cringe when the over-30's break into those domains, though it's becoming more and more tolerated.) They go with the millions of others that are completely uncool with Facebook, the dreaded Myspace and any others that are fly by night, day, week, or year. And Twitter, well, Twitter seems to be fairly blog-friendly in nature. I suppose that's like the main goal of it, actually. And so that just may be a perfect compliment to this here 'Artesian well' of written-word brilliance. Put that with the coming storm--make that the coming Storm (a Blackberry at long last!!!) and we may just have a full-on artistic and technological revolution and renaissance. We shall see.

In any event, I shall return.**

best,
Mateo~

ps-for the theologically-minded, spiritually-pulled, homeletically-curious, or those who just like to read, speculate, pontificate, or argue, please don't forget about my more ecclesially-oriented blog, www.bum-cat.blogspot.com! there will be an update or to added to that sooner than later. pax~

*borrowed form the most brilliant Dream Theater, and their song, A Rite of Passage

**borrowed from the famous declaration of one General Douglas MacArthur:

"The President of the United States ordered me to break through the Japanese lines and proceed from Corregidor to Australia for the purpose, as I understand it, of organizing the American offensive against Japan, a primary objective of which is the relief of the Philippines. I came through and I shall return."

No comments: