Monday, September 7, 2009

The Stormy Calm Before the Calming Storm

So here I am, a roarin' back!!! Back for the attack!!! Well, perhaps more like tomorrow I am back.

You see, today is Labor Day. A day to do anything and everything other than real work.

Though I cannot look at this--writing--as work. It has become so very mch more than that to me. Its an interest, a passion, a pursuit: all of these thigns, mos def!

And it is slowly, but surely, becoming a lifestyle. It is something I love.

This brings me to two of my very favorite quotes. The first has to do with that 'work' thing. Something I belive in, support, and try to do well. And its somethign I often find mysefl avoiding like the proverbial plague!

The quote in question is, "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life". Well, its something like that. And, its from someone like me. I think this way too, and its exactly what I am seeking with, for, and through my life. My life's work is to not work. Well, it is to do something, make something, say something, paint something (whether through words, music, electricity, wood, or even, say, paint?). My goal is to leave my mark on the world, on history and humanity. Though the goal is to devote my life to it, work as hard as I can in doing it, and never having it be work, per se.

A labor of love, if you will.

Now, the question is, what exactly is this? What is that true calling? What is my vocation to be?

I preach. I feel called to preach. I feel I do this well. Though there are so many parts of the preaching lofe that are NOT me. So much to ministry that is not minstry. I tmakes one wonder about being in ministry! And sometimes Christians make it so hard to find Jesus and help the gospel live in the world. Though I believe in nothing, if not sharing Christ's gospel--the true, biblical gospel, not some 'church culture of the 20th century' tradition of a meeting and eating club. I have to keep at this one--Jesus doesnt seem to let me stop! And that's cool with me.

I am a musician. At least, I hope I am. I play guitar, I have for a long time. Though the key is to go from being 'one who plays guitar' to 'guitarist' and then from 'guitarist' to 'musician'. And then, the ultimate transition is to go from 'musician' to 'artist'. Here's to that!

Then there is writing...you know how I feel about writing. At least, if you read the first paragraph, you know how I feel about writing. I want to find some way to bring writing into a predominant part of my life. Work? Well, maybe more like one of those "things I do".

I love animals and work hard to take care of as many as I possibly can. I'd do just about anything to have a shot at becoming a navy chaplain--or any other branch, for that matter. I love cooking and I cook very well, if I do say so myself. I actually enjoy doing electrical work, and--believe it or not-- I'm good at that! I could really see myself pitching for the Atlanta Braves and they can always use another good relief pitcher. Hey, as far as that goes, I love smoking and drinking and ordering in restaurants! (Not really, well, not all of those. Not anymore, at least). Point is, there is so very much I could see myself doing. Things I would hope to do--and I do hope to do them. I hope to do them well, and maybe make it a life's work. Maybe all of them.

To help narrow it down a tad bit, I use one other quote. I discovered this up in Harlan County, Kentucky. Not exactly where I would expect to find a real key to my future, but hey--you take what you can get!

It has become a guiding principle in my life, and I find the more closely I am to this ideal, the better things are.

"Don't ask 'what does the world need?', ask 'what makes me come alive?'. Because, what the world needs is people that have come alive".

Here's to that!

Have a day of rest and relaxation. Chilax a bit, if you will. Though tomorrow, I am getting down to business. I never been so serious about getting serious. And I aim to be hard at it--trying to devote my life to spending every free moment, using every gift I have, to make this world a better place. And in so doing, never work another day of my life!

happy Labor Day amigos!

MMS~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Matt. You don't post enough. Why don't you post your sermon after every sunday? Or at least post comments about your sermon every sunday? I got a fever adn th

Unknown said...

I got a fever and the only cure is more posting.