Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Blue Day (Jazz, Part II)

The other day, I had a blue day. I cannot fully explain it, nor hardly remember all the details. It was not blue, as in melancholy like I had 'the blues', not at all. It was a beautiful morning with an almost blue tint. What tinted it in such a color, you may ask? An album. A beautiful, blue, jazz album. The album many people hold as the best jazz album ever, and some people call the best album ever, period. The album is Kind of Blue, by Miles Davis and his sextet. It's from the Columbia period. And I agree with many and most. I feel it is the best jazz album, and possibly best album period, ever. It is without doubt the best jazz album I have ever heard. I am listening to it now, and feeling wonderfully blue! I am a newly hooked, totally taken jazz addict. I am fine with this condition.

As influential and seminal as Miles and Trane and company are, this most recent push--pull rather--toward jazz for me comes from two guitar virtuosos. I'd read about their import and their influence, and then my curiosity would pull me on in. There are two such guitarists that have brought me to this place: Allan Holdsworth and Joe Pass. The former is the modern master of jazz and rock fusion with a style, sound, harmony--a language--all his own. Holdsworth is pure brilliant.

The latter, is the definitive jazz virtuoso. And his definitive jazz album, Virtuoso, explains why.

These three entities--Davis and all his cronies (Coltrane, Abernathy, Evans, et al), Pass and Holdsworth--speak and live in a different universe, musically speaking. There music takes me there and I believe it will you too.

Though what about this beautiful phenomena that is jazz creates such a well spring of, well, something nearly inexplicable, to boil and and try to gush forth? Over this weekend, I will try to explore these ideas and mysteries. Granted, I have a sermon to construct and prepare. That is my priority. Though God will bless that process, I believe, and give me time to see beauty and experience bliss (the best word I can currently find) in many other ways.

It is the first day of November. Last night was Halloween, and All Hallows Eve. Yes, all at the same time. It was Reformation Day. Today is All Saints Day, and tomorrow is All Saints Sunday. What a time a year! It is brisk, though not quite cool enough for my taste. It is homecoming in Tuscaloosa for THE University of Alabama. MA is off, home and resting peacefully. The dogs are active, wagging their tales, ready for fun. I have plenty of great things to read, hot coffee coming from remote office #2 (Moxie Java in Cullman). I just spent two well=spent hours talking wit one of my dearest friends about life--life in its fullest. I am feeling wonderfully blue!

Be cool you cats,
MMS

No comments: