Monday, November 3, 2008

Here We Are

I believe 'precipice' is the word. We are standing at the door, ready to wonder in. We stand at the cliff, debating whether or not to jump. We stand on the platform, ready to dive. We go to the edge. We stand and look down. You know we'll lose a lot of friends there baby! And yes, that last one's Van Halen! We've got no time to mess around!

The presidential election is in the morning. And I think we can feel it. I feel it, at least it feels like I feel it! There is certainly tension in the air. I had dinner with some friends tonight, and the mood was serious. That's not all that bad or unusual a thing, though for us, we three BBQ enthusiasts, we band of brothers, serious usually stays home.

I fellowshipped with my two young friends, one in law school and one a college sophomore. MA and I shared some of Tuscaloosa, Alabamas finest smoked meat with them. It is the Bar B Q Guild, after all. This group has a fair amount in common, not the least of which is laughter. Don't get me wrong, laughter shared the meal with us. But I truly sense that young people have a lot on their minds. We all do. We all should. Though for anyone under the age of 25, this election really means something. It mwans something potentially new. Potentially strong. Potentially good and life and world and reality changing.

Will it mean all these things? How will those two young men, and many more from their generation end up leading and serving me and my beautiful wife...and all the world? Will we fail them tomorrow? Will we fail each other?

Vote. I believe Obama and McCain are both good men. We would be honored to have them as special guests to our guild. Though only one can win tomorrow (please dont think back to the 'election results' of 2004).

Only one can lead, and serve, and change this world from this magnificent country's position.

Vote. Vote with your heart and your mind. Vote for who you truly believe will give the most and the best to this nation and the world.

I had more to say about some astonishingly ridiculous things people are still saying about the candidates; one in particular. Though I wont. Suffice it to say, as The Refreshments so eloquently waxed, "everybody knows the world is full of stupid people". Sad, but true. Don't be one of those stupid people.

And the only really, lasting, stupid choice, is to stay home and not vote at all.

MA asked me if we were going to pray for 'all of them'. "All of who?" I asked. "Everyone" she replied with her loving, lovely, soft voice.

I can't remember what I said. Though I now know. Yes. I will be praying for John, and Barrack, and I will be praying for Bob, and James, and Mitchell. I will be praying for Ann, and Granny, and all these folks in the bookstore. And I will be praying for someoen to give Farnsworth a safe, loving home.

We shall continue this tomorrow.

Vote.

Peace.

No comments: