Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This Will Be a Day Long Remembered By the Empire

The day has arrived. I truly believe this is a banner day. There is [still] an almost tangible electricity around us. It is election day! I am enjoying some of the best coffee in the state, in the southeast (remote office #1, Olde Towne Coffee Shoppe in Huntsville, AL), and listening to some fascinating, intelligent, people discuss what the real concerns and issues are. It is refreshing. Last night, I felt less than refreshed when I saw a sign, a church sign, mind you, that read: "It's one nation under God, not Buddha. Vote". I agree with one part of that statement. The vote part. I believe in the God part too, so maybe I believe in two of the parts. Though its exactly that kind of stupidity that I am witnessing in my home state and hear about nation-wide has been frustrating at best, depressing at worst. I am feeling frustrated a good deal these days about the state of the world, the state of the union, and the state of the church. Though I believe in nothing if not hope. Hope is a part of my theology. Hope is my mantra, it is who I believe God to be and thusly hope is who I am. Today represents hope. We grabbed some of the hope and the excitement this morning.


This morning I drove my mother to Huntsville so she could vote. I will vote later when we return home. As we pulled out of the driveway I said, "Mom, here we go to change the world!". She agreed, and joined me in celebrating that excitement. It was a great moment, one that pulled us together. I am proud of Mom, and I love her so very much. She is a brave women, and she always has been. Not to mention, she is the most patient creature God ever created (until Mary Ann maybe). I dropped Anna BoNanna at her polling precinct. I took her picture, and she waddled off to exercise her civic duty. She is claiming her patriotic power. She is changing the world. She may just be saving the world. I know she sure saved me--more than once.

No comments: