Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Did!

It may seem that I am borrowing a wee bit directly from our new President-Elect. Well, I am, though I chose those three words as the title of this entry because it is what one of my best-good-friends just said. He texted the words, rather. My soul-brother is in, or on his way home from, Cincinnati. He was a poll observer, called into action by the Obama camp. Bob Bentely (jimbobbentley.blogspot.com) is an attorney. He is a compassionate attorney. He is a good attorney.

I first sent him the text saying, "Thanks Bob, we did it!". What we did, I still contend, was change the world. And you--yes YOU--did exactly that too, if you voted. The outcome doesnt pertain to what I am saying here. If you voted, you exercised your right to be a citizen in a democratic republic. That's power my friend! I am pleased with the outcome. I will not reveal for whom and for what I voted, by nature of my ordained...nature. 'Ordained professional status' my be a better way to say that. Though I do feel good about the democratic process, the whole dog-gone democratic experiment, actually.

Though we will just have to wait and see what the national/global/cultural/political/governmental implications will be. This will require a lot of trust. We will have to build a lot of faith. This will require us to lose a lot of anger, lose a lot of distrust and a lot fear. My fellow Americans and loyal varia-lecto readers world over, we will have to lose the hate in order for our nation and the world to come together. Come together, right now! And that can't be a bad thing. Whether or not your candidate won, the nation and the world--for the most part--is rejoicing. Perhaps the world is not rejoicing because of every decision or every elected candidate, though there is a good vibe world wide. And even if I don't agree with every decision made, and I don't, that's got to be a good thing.

Most of all, I sit back and remember the excitement of my mother yesterday when we set off for the polls, when she hopped out of the car--that's a joke, Mom doesnt 'hop' anywhere--and waddled on into the poll. When she had a stranger call me at Olde Towne Coffee to let me know she was ready to be picked up, I grinned. When she, at 69 years of age, was happy-crying and jumping up and down like a 3rd grader waiting for Santa Claus--that too is a joke, Mom doesnt exactly 'jump', ever--I wanted to jump and happy-cry with her. When I turned to see her reaction to 'O-Bomb's' speech, a speech that will [should] go down in history only to see her pull her eyelids open as if to say, "did I miss something?", I grinned from ear to shining ear. When she saw the headline today that reads "Yes he did", it brought back yesterday's joy and she said, "oh, I have to get that paper!" I looked at her and said, "yes, you do. Because yes he did. Yes we did. We all did. Yes, you did Mom!" I was proud of her. I am still proud of her, and I always will be. Mary Ann, and I, and Bob, and you...and Ann Smith, my mom, changed the world yesterday. And that's got to be a good thing.

No comments: